Kanou Castle 加納城
|Admin's Rating||★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Historical Site||National Historic Site|
|Location||Gifu City, Gifu Pref.|
|Access||Gifu Sta (JR Tokaido line), bus, 15 min walk; Kanou Sta (Meitetsu line) 15 min walk|
|Notes||Photos donated by RaymondW|
|History||The original Kanou Castle started as an extension of the Kawate Castle commanded by the Toki clan, the lords of the Mino region. After the Toki lost to Saito Dosan and Saito built Gifu Castle, Kanou Castle was abandoned. On his way back to Edo after the Battle of Sekigahara, Tokugawa Ieyasu stopped in Gifu and ordered Honda Tadakatsu to build a castle here. The Honmaru of modern Kanou Castle encompasses the older Kanou Castle with the Ninomaru and Sannomaru baileys built out from here. Tokugawa designed the layout himself. Much of the materials came from the recently abandoned Gifu Castle including the main keep which was rebuilt in the Ninomaru bailey as a three story yagura. It burned down in 1728 and was not rebuilt. A foundation for a main keep was built in the Honmaru bailey, but the main keep itself was never built. The first lord of Kanou Castle was Okudaira Nobumasa, the husband of one of Tokugawa's daughters.|
Sign in to add this castle to your castle visits or to rate it.
Gifu City, Gifu Pref.