Hitoyoshi Castle 人吉城
|Alternate Name||Kuma-jo, Mikazuki-jo, Sengetsu-jo|
|Admin's Rating||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Historical Site||National Historic Site|
|Historical Value||Top 100 Castles|
|Location||Hitoyoshi, Kumamoto Pref.|
|Access||Hitoyoshi Sta. (Hisatsu Line); 10 min walk|
|Website||Hitoyoshi Recommended Sites|
|Notes||Extensive ruins. Hitoyoshi Castle has a nice combination of buildings and stone walls for any castle fan.|
|History||The original Hitoyoshi Castle was founded by Sagara Nagayori in 1198. From this time, the Sagara made Hitoyoshi their home for 35 generations. The first evidence of a Sengoku Period castle appears in 1470 when Sagara Tametsugu was lord. In 1589 Sagara Nagatsune began a large scale renovation of the castle. The baileys and main structures were completed in 1601 and the stone walls were completed in 1644. An interesting feature of this castle is that it made use of the Kumagawa River as the outer moat and built in many boat landings to increase water traffic and trade. The castle was dismantled in 1872 and only the stone walls remain. Recent reconstruction efforts have rebuilt two yagura and a gate.|
Sign in to add this castle to your castle visits or to rate it.
Hitoyoshi, Kumamoto Pref.