|Admin's Rating||★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Historical Site||National Historic Site|
|Historical Value||Top 100 Castles|
|Access||Bus from Kawachinagano Station or Tondabayashi Station|
|Website||Chihaya Tourism Association|
|Visitor Info.||Always open/free | Time Required: 1.5 hours|
There are no structures or walls remaining from the castle. Chihaya Shrine was built on the former castle grounds.
On weekends, there are frequent buses (2 or 3 per hour) from Kawachinagano Station. There are also buses from Tondabayashi Station. Buses take about 20-30 minutes. Get off at Kongosanguchi.
The Castle Stamp is located inside Matsumasa Restaurant. They also have a paper with information about the castle.
Profile and photos by Jcastle contributor Phibbyfan.
Chihaya Castle was built in 1332 by Kusunoki Masashige, a loyalist to Emperor Go-Daigo. After the fall of nearby Akasaka Castle, Kusunoki built up Chihaya Castle to defend against the Hojo. When they attacked in 1333, he successfully forced them out. The tactics used by Kusunoki to defend the castle, such as creating dummy warriors with straw and extra armor, knocking down trees and pushing boulders onto enemies as they tried to ascend, etc. have made the Siege of Chihaya Castle one of Japan's stand-out military battle tales.
Chihaya Castle remained under the emperor's domain until the Ashikaga overtook it in 1390. The castle was then abandoned.