|Structure||5 levels, 7 stories|
|Admin's Rating||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Historical Site||Special Historic Site|
|Historical Value||Top 100 Castles, Important Cultural Properties|
Important Cultural Properties:
Southeast Corner Yagura, Southwest Corner Yagura, Omote Ninomon Gate, Ninomaru Ote Ninomon Gate, Former Ninomaru East Ninomon Gate, Northwest Corner Yagura
|Location||Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture|
|Access||Shiyakusho Station (subway Meijo Line)|
|Website||Nagoya Castle Official Home Page|
|Visited||July 1992, several times in 1995-1996, February 23, 2004|
|Notes||Had it not been destroyed by the bombing of World War 2, Nagoya Castle may have been more splendid than Himeji Castle with its original main keep and lord's palace. They are currently rasining funds to rebuild the palace.|
In 1610 Tokugawa Ieyasu ordered the construction of Nagoya-jo to solidify the Tokugawa authority in Owari (Nagoya and vicinity). The castle was completed in 1612 and Tokugawa's ninth son Yoshinao entered the castle in 1616 from which he governed over Owari.
Nagoya-jo is famous for the 2 golden shachihoko that adorn the top of its main keep. That is why it is also known as "Kinshachi-jo." Kin means "gold" and shachi refers to the killer whale type mythical creatures that sit atop the main keep and other castle structures.