Tatsugoyama Castle 龍子山城
|Alternate Name||Matsuoka Castle|
|Admin's Rating||★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Historical Site||Local Historic Site|
|Location||Takahagi, Ibaraki Pref.|
|Access||Takahagi Station on the Jōban Line, 40 minute walk or bus|
|Visitor Info.||free, 24/7 | Time Required: 60 mins|
There are many old structures in the area, including an Edo period dwelling dating to 1783, so that one feels one has slipped into the Late Edo Period.
Profile and photos by ART
|History||Tatsugoyama Castle was built by the Ōtsuka Clan, though it was not clear when. However, from 1602 Tozawa Masamori maintained a fortification at the foot of the hill which was known as Matsuokajō. In 1622 the Tozawa were forced to relocate to Shinjō-han in Dewa. Matsuoka was reconstituted as part of Mito-han. Nakayama Nobumasa was given the castle in 1646. The Nakayama Clan acted as castellans until 1707 when they abandoned the castle for another location. They however returned in 1803 when Nakayama Nobutaka re-established the castle. It was at this time that the castle town leading up to the citadel was developed, remains of which are present throughout the neighbourhood to this day. Tatsugoyama Castle never had any towers: the honmaru was located on the hillside with the ninomaru, which contained the lord’s residence, at its foot. The adjacent sannomaru contained administrative facilities, as well as kitchens and stores. The lord’s retainers lived in homes located in both the third and second baileys. The castle town developed leading up to the castle’s entrance, marked by a moat which is still present today.|
Sign in to add this castle to your castle visits or to rate it.
Takahagi, Ibaraki Pref.