Tatsugoyama Castle was built by the Ōtsuka Clan, though it was not clear when. However, from 1602 Tozawa Masamori maintained a fortification at the foot of the hill which was known as Matsuokajō. In 1622 the Tozawa were forced to relocate to Shinjō-han in Dewa. Matsuoka was reconstituted as part of Mito-han. Nakayama Nobumasa was given the castle in 1646. The Nakayama Clan acted as castellans until 1707 when they abandoned the castle for another location. They however returned in 1803 when Nakayama Nobutaka re-established the castle. It was at this time that the castle town leading up to the citadel was developed, remains of which are present throughout the neighbourhood to this day. Tatsugoyama Castle never had any towers: the honmaru was located on the hillside with the ninomaru, which contained the lord’s residence, at its foot. The adjacent sannomaru contained administrative facilities, as well as kitchens and stores. The lord’s retainers lived in homes located in both the third and second baileys. The castle town developed leading up to the castle’s entrance, marked by a moat which is still present today.
There are many old structures in the area, including an Edo period dwelling dating to 1783, so that one feels one has slipped into the Late Edo Period.
|English Name||Tatsugoyama Castle|
|Alternate Names||Matsuoka Castle|
|Year Founded||Before 1602|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Local Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Takahagi Station on the Jōban Line, 40 minute walk or bus|
|Visitor Information||free, 24/7|
|Time Required||60 mins|
|Location||Takahagi, Ibaraki Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 44' 19", 140° 42' 18"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2016|