Himeji Castle Profile Renewed
Himeji Castle Profile Renewed
I've completely renovated the Himeji Castle profile page with over 300 photos divided into nine sub-albums. This was actually a massive undertaking that involved organizing and selecting photos from 6 visits over as many years. I also realized that it rains about half the time that I go to Himeji, so you may not want to go with me !
Just before the ticket counter, off to your left, is an administration office where you may be able to connect with a volunteer English guide to tour the castle too. They are very knowledgeable and do great tours helping to make sure you don't miss anything important.
I've been to Himeji Castle 11 times in about 20 years, but there are still things I've missed or forgotten to look for in the excitement of this great castle. If you have time, the Koko-en gardens are a worthy visit. You can also walk the outer moats around the castle to see more interesting angles of the castle and the ruins of other gates and fortifications. Himeji is a nice town and hotels are less expensive than Kyoto/Osaka. If you spend a night here you can see more of the sites. The town also has a good bicycle rental system if you want to visit the castle and outlying areas efficiently.
Himeji Castle is too vast with too many great things to show, so I've split the photos into the following albums. I get a lot of requests for more photos of what the interior looks like so I've put a lot of photos into those albums. The photos shown after the map below are just a few photos of the main keep that you can see from the main compounds and three panorama photos from the Egret Himeji. Please see these albums for more details:
- Main Compounds: Honmaru, Nishi-no-maru, Ninomaru and parts of the San-no-maru compounds. These are the areas most visitors will see if you follow the standard routes around the park.
- Nishinomaru Yagura Interior: interior of the yagura in the Nishinomaru Bailey
- Main Keep Interior: Interior of the main keep
- Small Keeps Limited Exhibition: A special exhibition of the East Small Keep and Inui Small Keep that are not open to the public.
- Outer Ruins: Areas mostly outside the inner moat. Not typically visited by most tourists but if you walk the outside of the castle you'll see these sites. There are a lot of really interesting stone walls around the former gates.
- Main Keep from a distance: Otokoyama, Keifukuji and the Egret Himeji - places around town where you can get good unobstructed views of the castle from a distance
- Night Views: A few photos from around town one evening
Jan 26, 2021
Southern Tohoku Castle Trip Update
Jan 24, 2021
15 New Castles from ART
Jan 16, 2021
34 New Nagano Prefecture Castle Profiles from ART
Dec 11, 2020
44 new castle profiles from ART
Aug 31, 2020
Hishakuyama Castle, Hikobe Yashiki, Teusuyama Fort
Aug 23, 2020
4 Castle Hike in Gunma (Takasaki)
Aug 21, 2020
3 new castles and 2 yakata in Saitama
Aug 10, 2020
3 Castles and 5 Forts Of Okehazama
Aug 5, 2020
Odawara Castle Profile Renewed
Jul 19, 2020
Ogaki Castle, Gifu Castle and Kano Castle Updated
Jul 7, 2020
6 new Tokyo area castles
Jun 28, 2020
56 New Nagano Prefecture Castle Profiles by ART
Jun 24, 2020
Renewed Hikone Castle and Takatori Castle
May 31, 2020
Sasou Castle and Sawayama Castle