Komatsu Castle

From Jcastle.info
Revision as of 22:42, 16 October 2019 by Eric (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Komatsu01.JPG

History

The site of Komatsujō was first fortified by the Ikkō-Ikki in 1576. It was conquered by Oda Nobunaga's general Shibata Katsuie in his campaign against them and in the Edo Period became part of Kaga Domain. In 1615 the One Castle Per Domain Edict led to the fort being abandoned. However, in 1639 Maeda Toshitsune began work on rebuilding the castle, creating wide moats surrounding a series of large islands. The castle ballooned in proportions and became twice as large in surface area as Kanazawajō. It was built with a three-tier tenshu and was thought to have been an impregnable fortress, due principally to its many moats and baileys. Komatsujō owes its existence to the power dynamic between Kaga Domain, which was one of the largest and most powerful polities in the land at that time, and the Edo Bakufu. Maeda Toshitsune, in order to allay the Shogunate's fears, retired as ruler of Kaga and built Komatsujō as a place for his retirement, splitting the domain between himself and his heirs. However, Toshitsune remained de facto in charge and for a brief time Komatsujō and not Kanazawajō was the political center of Kaga. Daishōji-jin'ya and Toyamajō were also built as a result of this compromise. After the death of Toshitsune in 1658 Komatsujō reverted to a branch castle of Kanazawajō. Komatsujō was abandoned in 1872 with the abolition of the Han System.

Visit Notes

Komatsujō's main features are its extant tenshudai (donjon platform) ishigaki (stone-piled ramparts) and survivng ishigaki around the honmaru (main bailey). The survivng stonework is neatly stacked and is similar to later stonework found at Kanazawajō. The castle's foot print is extensive: the honmaru is now a park, the ninomaru (second bailey) is now a high school, and the sannomaru (third bailey) is now parkland. Other baileys which existed are now built over with residential sprawl. An elementary school in the sannomaru possesses an old gate, Tokiwamon, once used at the castle.


Gallery


Castle Profile
English Name Komatsu Castle
Japanese Name 小松城
Founder Maeda Toshitsune
Year Founded 1639
Castle Type Flatland
Castle Condition Ruins only
Designations Local Historic Site
Historical Period Edo Period
Artifacts Baileys, Tenshudai, Ishigaki, Dorui, (relocated?) Gate
Features stone walls
Visitor Information
Access Komatsu Station on the Hokuriku Main Line; 15 minute walk
Visitor Information 24/7 free
Time Required one hour
Location Komatsu, Ishikawa Prefecture
Coordinates 36° 24' 45.29" N, 136° 26' 37.14" E
Loading map...
Admin
Year Visited Viewer Contributed
Contributor ART
Added to Jcastle 2019


2.00
(one vote)
Add your comment
Jcastle.info welcomes all comments. If you do not want to be anonymous, register or log in. It is free.