Sakuraijō was built in the late 15th century by Ōra Tadashige who became a retainer of Matsudaira Nobumitsu. Matsudaira Chikatada's fourth son, Matsudaira Oyafusa, became lord of the castle but he had no children, and so he adopted Matsudaira Nobusada, third son of Matsudaira Nobuchika, who founded the Sakurai-Matsudaira branch. In 1590 the Sakurai-Matsudaira Clan were transferred to Kantō along with Tokugawa Ieyasu who set them up in Musashi-Matsuyamajō with a fiefdom worth 10,000石. Sakuraijō was abandoned at this time.
Sakurai Castle is a minor site consisting of a few ruins, a reconstructed kabukimon (a threadbare gateway) and what looks like a dwarf-sized watch tower model. A hillock with a commemorative marker atop is a dorui (earthen ramparts) segment. The site is now a park with modern ishigaki.
|English Name||Sakurai Castle|
|Year Founded||Late 15th Century|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Local Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Artifacts||Dorui, Reconstructed Kabukimon|
|Access||Sakurai Station on the Meitetsu Nishio Line; 8 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; park|
|Time Required||20 minutes|
|Location||Anjo, Aichi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 55' 14.05" N, 137° 5' 33.04" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2020|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|