Arako Castle was built by Maeda Toshimasa in the mid-16th century. According to a historical document called the Biyōzakki, Arakojō measured 68m east-west and 50m north-south. It was surrounded by a single layer of moats. The castle was the base of the Maeda Clan before their move to Echizen Province and likely chiefly used as a residence. Castellans included Maeda Toshimasa, Maeda Toshihisa, Maeda Toshiie and Maeda Toshinaga. Maeda Toshiie was apparently born at the castle. Arakojō was abandoned around 1575.
No ruins remain of Arakojō. The site of the castle is now a shrine and small park. A signboard at the shrine explains about the castle and Maeda Toshiie. Banners there proudly proclaim "the birthplace of Maeda Toshiie". The nearby temple, Arako-Kannonji, also has some history related to the Maeda Clan and existed alongside Arakojō. The temple's Tahōtō (stupa) was built in 1536, possibly around the same time as the castle, and is the oldest building in modern Nagoya. A thatched-roof shrine at the temple honours the Maeda.
|English Name||Arako Castle|
|Year Founded||Mid-16th Century|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Arako Station on the Aonami Line; 10 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; shrine|
|Time Required||10 mins|
|Location||Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 8' 6.40" N, 136° 51' 22.68" E|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2020|