Hayaotoshijō was built as a branch castle of Inakurajō by the Akazawa Clan, but under the hegemony of the Ogasawara Clan its control was transferred to the clan (後庁氏) who ruled nearby Ibukajō. The Akazawa Clan later recovered the fortress after conspiring with Takeda Shingen in his invasion of Shinano. Their assault and re-capture of Hayaotoshijō at this time may be the origin of its curious name, which could be loosely translated as "the castle which fell / falls quickly" (another name for the site is Horayama-toride). The Akazawa left their vassals the Hayashi Clan in charge of Hayaotoshijō but by 1582 it was abandoned.
Hayaotoshi Castle is a yamajiro (mountain castle) ruin set atop of a small mountain. Ruins consist of a series of baileys divided by trenches. The layout is very simple to follow and the trail goes through the whole site. On one side the trail goes through some pastureland, and on the other it starts at a shrine at the foot of the hill.
|English Name||Hayaotoshi Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Matsumoto Station; 90 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free|
|Time Required||60 mins|
|Location||Matsumoto, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 16' 39.76" N, 137° 59' 6.83" E|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2020|