Igawajō was essentially the fortified residence of the Ogasawara Clan built in 1334 (as a yakata) upon the appointment of Ogasawara Sadamune as Governor of Shinano Province. In 1446 the Ogasawara relocated to an easier-to-defend location 4km away at Hayashi Castle. Igawajō's designation as a castle rather than as merely a fortified manor house is likely due to its continued use as a fort throughout the Sengoku Period. Igawa is an area noted for having abundant water supply.
In suburban Matsumoto there is a plot of agricultural land surrounded by residential sprawl. This patch of greenery represents the ruins of Igawa Castle, a nationally designated historic site. Of the remains of the castle there are few. In addition to the remains of a hori (trench) there is a significant artificial mound, thought to have perhaps been the foundation of a castle tower (id est, a yaguradai). In this area many archaelogical investigations have been carried out, which is maybe why it hasn't been developed over yet.
|English Name||Igawa Castle|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||National Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Artifacts||Yaguradai, Hori, Yaguradai|
|Access||Nishi-Matsumoto Station on the Kamikouchi Line; walk 10 minutes|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free|
|Time Required||30 minutes|
|Location||Matsumoto, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 13' 20.35" N, 137° 57' 52.20" E|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2020|