Yoshinaga founded this castle as part as a planned attack against the Mouri clan in 1557. He didn't actually finish the castle before he was defeated by the Mouri. Ouchi escaped as far as Katsuyama Castle near Shimonoseki, where he comitted suicide. After this, the Mouri clan completed the site and put Ichikawa Tsuneyoshi in charge. In 1559, Ouchi Teruhiro tried to reclaim the castle but failed. In 1615, the castle was decommissioned as part of the Tokugawa `one country, one castle` policy and was finally abandoned by 1638. It may have been used as a subsidiary fort of Yamaguchi Castle.
The start of the trail was from the back of Yamaguchi Dai Jingu. The nearby Rekishikan history museum has some limited information on the castle and its history too. The tombs of the Mouri clan lords are also in the vicinity.
|English Name||Konomine Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Next 100 Castles, National Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Features||trenches, stone walls|
|Access||Yamaguchi Sta. (Yamaguchi line), 20 minutes walk; city bus to nearby also available|
|Location||Yamaguchi City, Yamaguchi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 11' 3.70" N, 131° 27' 43.70" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2012|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|