Momose-jin'ya was established in 1671 by the Suwa Clan, which was likely at the time discontiguous (tobichi) from Takashima-han. The territory became a tenryō led by a Hatamoto (a direct retainer of the Shōgun) and the jin'ya became a daikan administering the villages of Momose, Seguro, Shirakawa, Takebuchi, and surrounding territory, worth about a thousand koku.
Momose-jin'ya consists of a small gate, go'ten (lord's hall) and some walls and dorui (embankments). The gate area of the Momose-jin'ya site retains a masugata defensive configuration, set to the side of the road insted of facing it. Any hostiles entering through here would've been consequently flanked on three sides. The structures are reckoned to date to the Late Edo Period.
|English Name||Momose Jin'ya|
|Castle Condition||No main keep but other buildings|
|Designations||Local Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Artifacts||Jin'ya Go'ten; Gate; Masugata|
|Access||Hirata Station on the Chūō Main Line; walk 25 minutes|
|Visitor Information||24/7; free; private property|
|Time Required||10 minutes|
|Location||Matsumoto, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 11' 12.05" N, 137° 58' 26.62" E|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2019|