Ōmori Castle was present from at least the Sengoku Period and served as the base of Date Sanemoto, third son of Date Tanemune. It was an important defensive node serving the Date clan. Sanemoto retired in 1584 to Hacchōmejō and his son Date Shigezane inherited the castle. Shigezane served as the top commander of Date Masamune and was put in charge of Nihonmatsujō with that castle’s capture. Ōmorijō was then put under the command of Katakura Kagetsuna. From this time the castle played a vital role supplying the Date in their war with the Sōma clan in the east. Following Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s breaking up of Date clan power in 1591, Ōmorijō was decommissioned. However, it was rebuilt toward the end of the Sengoku Period by Uesugi clan vassal, Kurita Kunitoki. Kunitoki was killed for conspiring with Tokugawa Ieyasu shortly before the Battle of Sekigahara and replaced by Imokawa Chikamasa. The Imokawa ruled thereafter as Uesugi vassals but in 1644 following a series of rebellions that broke out following the sudden death of Uesugi Tsunakatsu, the territory was taken into Tenryō administration (direct control by the Shogunate) and Ōmorijō was permanently abandoned.
Ōmorijō is a mountaintop castle featuring dorui (earthen ramparts) and a Sengoku Period style reconstructed (mock) miyagura (watch tower).
|English Name||Omori Castle|
|Founder||Unclear / Date Sanemoto|
|Year Founded||Unclear / Sengoku Period|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Main Keep Structure||Reconstructed Miyagura|
|Access||Minami-Fukushima Station (Tōhoku Main Line); 15 minute walk|
|Time Required||30 minutes|
|Location||Fukushima City, Fukushima Prefecture|
|Coordinates||37° 43' 24", 140° 25' 57"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2017|