Oda Nobunaga ordered his nephew, Oda Nobuzumi to construct a castle at Takashima to control the western shores of Lake Biwa. The castle was designed by Akechi Mitsuhide. It also functioned as an important port on Lake Biwa. After the Battle of Tennosan in 1582 with the demise of Akechi Mitsuhide, Oda Nobuzumi’s loyalty was called into question, and he was killed by Niwa Nagahide’s troops. After that, Toyotomi Hideyoshi installed one of his generals, Kyougoku Takatsugu as the lord of Oomizo Castle. Takatsugu was also married to Hatsu, one of Asai Nagamasa’s daughters. The castle was downsized to a jinya after the “One castle, one feudal domain” edict.
There is only the stone base of the castle keep left here. Most of the other structures are long gone. You can see some ishigaki which lined some of the canals. The castle ruin is only 5 minutes walk from JR Omitakashima Station.
|English Name||Oomizo Castle|
|Alternate Names||Takashima Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Local Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Features||water moats, trenches, stone walls|
|Access||Omitakashima Sta. (Kosei Line), 5 min walk|
|Time Required||30 minutes|
|Website||http://www.biwako-visitors.jp/search/spot all 902.html|
|Location||Takashima, Shiga Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 17' 33", 136° 0' 46"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2012|