The Imagawa originally maintained a fort on this site until they were defeated by Takeda Shingen. Baba Harunobu then built Koyama Castle here under Takeda in 1571. The first lord of the castle was Ohkuma Tomohide. Together with Suwahara Castle, Koyama Castle played an important part in the castle network for the attack on Takatenjin Castle. After the fall of Takatenjin Castle, Koyama Castle continued it's strategic role as a vital supply point on the route to Takatenjin Castle. Koyama Castle fell to the forces of Tokugawa Ieyasu in 1582.
The main keep from the picture above is a mock keep. There was no such keep built on this site. The museum contains an impressive collection of armor for its size. Castles fans should enjoy seeing the round umadashi entrance and the triple moat.
|English Name||Koyama Castle|
|Castle Condition||Reconstructed main keep|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Main Keep Structure||3 levels, 5 stories|
|Year Reconstructed||1987 (concrete)|
|Features||main keep, turrets, bridges, trenches, stone walls|
|Access||Shizuoka Sta. (Tokaido main line); express bus for Yoshida High School 40 mins.|
|Location||Yoshida, Shizuoka Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 46' 43.97" N, 138° 14' 49.27" E|
|Visits||June 3, 2011|
|Added to Jcastle||2011|