After the original Sannohe Castle was burned down in a rebellion by one of his retainers, Nanbu Harumasa built his new castle on this site. The castle was further fortified into a modern castle with a palace and yagura by Nanbu Nobunao after he became lord in 1582. After Kunohe Masazane's uprising in 1591, Nobunao moved into Kunohe Castle and his nephew became lord of Sannohe Castle.
There is no evidence this castle had a main keep or yagura in this style. It is a mock reconstruction.
|English Name||Sannohe Castle|
|Castle Condition||Reconstructed main keep|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Main Keep Structure||3 levels, 3 floors|
|Features||gates, turrets, stone walls, walls|
|Access||Sannohe Sta (Aomori Tetsudo), bus|
|Visitor Information||open 9am-4pm; closed Mondays or the day following a holiday and from Dec 1 to Mar31. 200 yen admission|
|Location||Sannohe, Aomori Prefecture|
|Coordinates||40° 22' 53", 141° 15' 51"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2012|