In the 1300's one of the powerful clans of the area, Yanagishita built a fortified manor on this site. During the Edo Period this was the site of the Takamatsu Matsudaira clan's shimoyashiki residence. During the Meiji Period the park held a gunpowder magazine and in 1917 it was taken over by the Imperial Household. The lands were released to the Ministry of Education in 1949 and have been turned into a nature park since.
In the photos and at the park you'll see several different sections of earthen embankments. It is thought that the ones creating a U shape surrounded the actual home.
Even if the ruins of the fortified manor are very few, it's a beautiful park to walk through in the middle of the city. It is interesting however that the embankments around here have survived through the Edo Period to end up protected in the Institute For Nature Study.
|English Name||Shirogane Yakata|
|Alternate Names||Shirogane-jo, Shirogane Chojayashiki|
|Year Founded||1300's (Nanbokucho Period)|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Meguro Sta (JR Yamanote Line), 10 min walk|
|Visitor Information||Open 9-430pm Sept-Apr, 9-5pm May-Aug; Closed Dec 28-Jan 4, 310 yen admission|
|Time Required||30 mins|
|Coordinates||35° 38' 16.01" N, 139° 43' 5.52" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2017|
|Admin Year Visited||2017|
|Admin Visits||December 8, 2017|