Jin’ya were fortified residences which were used as housing and offices of lower ranking Daimyō who were not granted permission to build castles. The front gate of the Shishido-han Jin’ya remains to this day. Shishido-han was a small domain in Hitachi-koku, ruled by a junior branch of the Tokugawa, the Mito-Matsudaira. Its population was on only around 6,500 and so rulers of Shishido, not being wealthy, were not obliged to send envoys to the capital. Shishido-han was created in 1682 as land to be held as a reward to loyal Daimyō, and so first it was determined how much Koku the land would be worth, ten thousand koku in this case, and then the land was measured out accordingly and allotted to make-up the amount of Koku promised, making it somewhat artificial in its creation, mandated rather than forged organically in conflict. Toward the ends of the Edo period, Shishido samurai supported a local rebellion led by Tengutō (Tengu Party), and for this the domain was abolished when the Tengu Revolt was suppressed, and it was reconstituted as a Tenryō, controlled directly by the Shogun through representatives. The Jin’ya is now on private land, and is a prefectural-level designated cultural property.
It's a long walk from Iwama Station on the Joban line, about an hour each way.
|English Name||Shishido Jin'ya|
|Castle Condition||No main keep but other buildings|
|Designations||Prefectural Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Main Keep Structure||Main Gate|
|Access||Iwama Sta. (Joan Line), Taxi or an hour walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free (look from outside)|
|Time Required||15 minutes|
|Location||Kasama, Ibaraki Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 18' 22", 140° 18' 31"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2017|