Toyooka Jinya was established by Kyogoku Takamori in 1668 when he was transferred from Tanabe. It was not given "castle domain" level status so the Kyogoku built a smaller jinya fortification near the base of the mountain where Toyooka Castle was located. The Kyogoku clan continued to rule over Toyooka until the Meiji Restoration. The site of the jinya is now the Toyooka City Public Library. Excavations have found the ruins of many buildings ranging from the Sengoku Period through the Edo Period.
There really isn't much to see here, stop if you are in town and combine it with a visit to the Toyooka Castle ruins. The main gate pictured above was built in the Edo Period in Kyoto but was not a part of the Jinya. It was moved here when Toyooka became a prefecture. There is one original gate from Toyooka Jinya that has been moved to Fukujoji Temple in Izushi and 2 other gates that have been moved to Toyooka City temples.
|English Name||Toyooka JInya|
|Castle Condition||No main keep but other buildings|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Access||Toyooka Sta. (San'in Line), 15 min walk|
|Visitor Information||Open anytime|
|Time Required||20 mins|
|Location||Toyooka, Hyogo Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 32' 28", 134° 49' 19"|
|Visits||Sept 25, 2013|
|Added to Jcastle||2013|