Ogawa Mitsuuji expanded and fortified an old fort to create his main castle here. In 1616 Ishikawa Tadafusa moved here from Ogaki Castle in Gifu and ruled until 1639 when it came under direct control of the Tokugawa Bakufu and was used as a regional government outpost. From 1682 to 1686 it was briefly the domain of Matsudaira Naonori but it became a regional government office again and remained so until the end of the Edo Period.
The castle's proper name was originally Nagayama Castle, but in modern days it is more commonly referred to as Tsukikuma Castle after Mt. Tsukikuma where it's located. Other books and websites seem to split about half and half whether to call it Tsukikuma or Nagayama.
|English Name||Tsukikuma Castle|
|Alternate Names||Nagayama-jo, Maruyama-jo|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Features||stone walls, walls|
|Access||Hita Sta. (Kyudai Line), 30 min walk|
|Visitor Information||Tsukikuma Park is open year round.|
|Time Required||30 mins|
|Location||Hita, Oita Prefecture|
|Coordinates||33° 19' 56", 130° 56' 10"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2013|