The Hyakusaiji Temple itself was established by Shotoku Taishi in 606. It was probably fortified as a castle in 1503 by the Rokkaku after being burned down in a battle between the Rokkaku and Iba clans. In 1573, Nobunaga found out that Hyakusaiji was supporting the Rokkaku who were under siege by Nobunaga so he burned the castle down. When Nobunaga built Azuchi Castle, he carted away much of the stone from here to use at Azuchi. Most of the stonework you see today was rebuilt for the temple after this time. Hyakusaji Castle is a historically important site in the history of temple fortifications. Besides stone walls it also had moats and typical castle earthworks.
Photos by David W.
|English Name||Hyakusaiji Castle|
|Alternate Names||Hyakusaiji Toride|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||National Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Features||trenches, stone walls|
|Access||Yohkaichi Sta (Ohmi Railway), 15 min taxi|
|Time Required||45 mins|
|Location||Higashi Omi, Shiga Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 7' 36.80" N, 136° 17' 19.79" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2013|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
Enable comment auto-refresher