Isezaki Castle (Sanada)
Isezakijō was built as a branch castle to Toishijō, connecting it via a fortified corridor to Yazawajō on the opoosite side of the valley. In 1585 Sanada Nobushige commanded Isezakijō whilst Sanada Nobuyuki occupied Toishijō. Both were sons of Sanada Masayuki. At this time Isezakijō was used to defend against the Tokugawa during the First Battle of Ueda. In 1600, during the Second Battle of Ueda, which pitted the Sanada Clan against itself, Nobushige (Western Army) lost Toishijō to Nobuyuki (Eastern Army). Along with Toishijō, Isezakijō was either destroyed or abandoned during the battle.
Isezakijō is on a promontory jutting out into the plain. Due to the elevation it seems to be a place that would've been used as a choke point granting entry into the valleys beyond. The ruin includes several baileys, trenches, dorui (earthen ramparts) and even ishigaki (stone-piled ramparts). Isezakijō is set within a wooded grove surrounded by orchards of the famous Shinshu apples.
|English Name||Sanada Isezaki Castle|
|Year Founded||Sengoku Period|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Artifacts||Ishigaki, Dorui, Kuruwa, Hori|
|Features||trenches, stone walls|
|Access||Ueda Station on the Shinano Railway; Sugadaira Bus from Ueda Station No.3 Bus Stop|
|Visitor Information||Free; 24/7; Mountain|
|Time Required||30 minutes|
|Location||Ueda, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 24' 41.47" N, 138° 18' 7.63" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2020|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|