Kaneko Castle (Suwa)
Kaneko Castle was the fortified residence of Suwa Yoritada. Before that it was the original location of the Chino Clan's castle before they moved to Ohguma Castle. Chino Masanobu had rebelled against the Suwa and so Yoritada ousted him in 1584 and set himself up in Kanekojō. Yoritada abandoned Kanekojō when he accompanied Tokugawa Ieyasu to Edo in 1590. Yoritada was returned to Suwa in 1601, having been granted a feif there, but he did not re-establish Kanekojō, and instead built Takashima Castle. In the meantime Toyotomi Hideyoshi had appointed his vassal Neno Takayoshi as the local baron and Neno's castle was at a site now called "Old Takashima Castle (Takashimako Castle)" on a hill overlooking the modern town. Stone walls were disembled and relocated from Kanekojō to Takashima. Possibly this was why Yoritada built the new Takashima Castle instead of relocating back to the now completely ruined Kaneko Castle.
Although historically noteworthy nothing remains of Kaneko Castle today. There is a signboard with information about the site. The former hirajiro (flatland castle) is now houses and some fields.
|Suwa Kaneko Castle
|Pre Edo Period
|Kami-Suwa Station on the Chuo Line; 55 minute walk. Or Chino Station; 65 minute walk.
|Suwa, Nagano Prefecture
|36° 0' 40.21" N, 138° 6' 49.43" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited