Wadayamajō was a branch castle of Kannonjijō (Kannonji Castle) constructed by Rokkaku Yoshisuke in the middle 16th century, probably around 1560 in anticipation of Asai Nagamasa's invasion of Rokkaku territory. The castellan was Tanaka Daisuke. In 1568 Oda Nobunaga invaded Rokkaku territory and the defenders of Wadayamajō, which had a garrison of 6,000 troops, following the fall of Minosakuyamajō on the mountain across the plain to the south, ran away without a fight.
Wadayamajō is a Sengoku period yamajiro (mountaintop castle) ruin with earthworks such as kuruwa (baileys), dorui (earthen ramparts), and umadashi (barbicans). Wadayamajō's ruins are obvious to a yamajiro fan, but there is another castle site on the same mountain of which there are much fewer ruins, and this other castle, called Wadayamakojō, is thought to predate Wadayamajō (see Kanzaki Wadayamako Castle).
|English Name||Kanzaki Wadayama Castle|
|Year Founded||c. 1560|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Artifacts||Dorui, Kuruwa, Umadashi|
|Access||Notogawa Sation on the Biwako Line; 40 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; mountain|
|Time Required||30 minutes|
|Location||Higashi-Ōmi, Shiga Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 10' 29.50" N, 136° 11' 26.66" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2022|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|
Enable comment auto-refresher