According to the Iranki, Kashiwarajō was the last battle of Tenshō Iga no Ran. Iga no Mono, including members of the Momochi family, defended the fort. Oda’s forces swept through Iga, attacking the populace as an act of vengeance. Oda ordered Tsutsui Junkei, Lord of neighbouring Yamato Province who was leading the invasion in the southwest, to be ruthless, and decreed that for every day the Iga no Mono resisted, the heads of 300-500 locals should be collected. Two weeks following the initial invasion of Iga during this second phase of the war beginning September 30th 1581, the Iga no Mono surrendered and gave up Kashiwarajō to Tsutsui Junkei. At that time the Yamato Noh actor Ōkura Goroji acted as an intermediary in the negotiations.
About 500m from Akameguchi on the Osaka-KIntetsu Line. Please see google maps. You will have to take a narrow footpath to reach this site, it starts between two fields near Katte Shrine and proceeds up the hill. Earth works remain. The area is now forested but kept neat. Some earthen mounds seem to contain chunks of stone, but this was principally a fort of wooden palings surrounding an encampment.
Profile and photos contributed by ART
|English Name||Kashiwara Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Main Keep Structure||Earthworks|
|Access||About 500m from Akameguchi on the Osaka-Kintetsu Line.|
|Visitor Information||Free, 24/7|
|Time Required||30 minutes|
|Location||Akame, Mie Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 35' 40.42" N, 136° 5' 2.18" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2016|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
Enable comment auto-refresher