Kuroda Daikansho

From Jcastle.info
Revision as of 12:00, 5 March 2024 by ART (talk | contribs) (Created page with "{{Castle |English Name=Kuroda Daikansho |Japanese Name=黒田代官所 |Romaji Name=Kuroda-daikansho |Alternate Names=Kuroda-daikan-yashiki (黒田代官屋敷) |Founder=Mid'...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

KurodaDaikanYashiki (3).jpg


The Kuroda-yashiki was first built in the middle 16th century by Kuroda Yoshinori, a vassal of the Imagawa Clan. In 1568 Tokugawa Ieyasu conquered the area and Kuroda Yoshinori submitted to his rule. The Kuroda resisted the Takeda when they invaded the province, and joined the defence of Takatenjinjō; after Takatenjinjō fell to Takeda Katsuyori in 1574, the Kuroda Clan escaped and reverted to farming.

The old Kuroda clan hall became a daikan-yashiki (magistrate's residence) in 1645 when Honda Toshinaga, lord of Okazaki Domain, gave his brother, Honda Sukehisa, a subfief here valued at 4,000 koku. The omoya (main living halls) of the yashiki was reconstructed following a large earthquake which struck the Tōkai region in 1854, but the nagayamon is thought to date to the mid' 1700s. The east storehouse was built in the mid' 19th century, and the west storehouse was rebuilt in 1899. A map of the yashiki's layout from 1861 show it much as it is today, showing that it has been well-preserved.

Visit Notes

Kuroda-daikan-yashiki is a medieval fortified residence and proto-modern daikansho (magistrate's residence / office) site in Shimohirakawa township, Kikugawa Municipality. Extant Edo period architecture includes the main living hall, storehouses and a grand nagayamon (gate-rowhouse).

The site is surrounded for the most part by a mizubori (moat), which seems to have once ensconced a secondary bailey too. There is also a boat-landing on the moat around the main bailey, indicating that the moat system was once connected to nearby waterways. The fortification ruins also include dorui (earthen ramparts), with a chunky segment within the inner moat, and a long stretch of embankment on the outside of the moat, which is unorthodox.

There is a museum building in what was once the compound's secondary bailey. The museum's displays contain old scrolls, clothes and items of daily use during the time of the daikansho and thereafter. The admission fee is ¥150, and photography is prohibited. The main compound and its gardens are open to the public, but the main living halls are still occupied by the Kuroda family, and there is no public entry inside of the buildings.

  • Nagayamon (gate-rowhouse)

Castle Profile
English Name Kuroda Daikansho
Japanese Name 黒田代官所
Alternate Names Kuroda-daikan-yashiki (黒田代官屋敷)
Founder Mid' 16th Century; 1645
Year Founded Kuroda Yoshinori
Castle Type Flatland
Castle Condition No main keep but other buildings
Designations has Important Cultural Properties
Historical Period Edo Period
Artifacts Mizubori, Dorui, Nagayamon, Omoya, &c.
Features gates, palace, water moats
Visitor Information
Access Nearest station is Kikugawa Station on the Tōkaidō Main Line
Visitor Information 9:00-16:00; ¥150
Time Required 60 minutes
Website https://www.city.kikugawa.shizuoka.jp/shakaikyouiku/kurodake 2.html
Location Kikugawa, Shizuoka Prefecture
Coordinates 34° 41' 56.69" N, 138° 5' 3.44" E
Loading map...
Added to Jcastle 2024
Contributor ART
Admin Year Visited Viewer Contributed
Friends of JCastle
Jōkaku Shashin Kiroku

(one vote)
Add your comment
Jcastle.info welcomes all comments. If you do not want to be anonymous, register or log in. It is free.