After the battle of Sekigahara, Asano Tadayoshi was appointed governor of Kii country (Wakayama Pref.). Kumano area was far from their main castle Wakayama-jo (Wakayama City), Tadayoshi started to build his branch castle in Shingu in 1601. Construction of the castle was cancelled based on Ikkoku Ichijyo Rei (one castle per country rule) published in 1615, but later was resumed. In 1619, Asano Clan moved to Aki country then Tokugawa Yorihobu, the 10th son of Tokugawa Ieyasu, became the lord of Kii country and established Kishu domain. Kishu domain was one of the three special relative domain of Edo Shogunate along with Owari domain and Mito domain, then chief retainers were directly appointed by Edo Shogunate and they were approved to have their own castle. Mizuno Clan were given Shingu-jo. Mizuno Clan further continued the construction of the castle and finally completed in 1633. Mizuno Clan kept Shingu area along with Kishu domain, and due to the Meiji revolution Shingu-jo was abolished.
It is a little far and there is not much else around but it is worth the trip out to it. There are still a lot of stonewalls left and the site is well kept up.
|English Name||Shingu Castle|
|Alternate Names||Tankaku-jo, Okimi-jo|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Next 100 Castles, National Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Features||trenches, stone walls|
|Access||Shingu Station (JR Kisei Line), walk 15 minutes.|
|Visitor Information||Free, open any time|
|Time Required||90 mins|
|Location||Shingu, Wakayama Prefecture|
|Coordinates||33° 43' 47.53" N, 135° 59' 33.47" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2020|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
Enable comment auto-refresher