After the Battle of Sekigahara, Kanamori Nagachika was named the first lord of the Takayama Domain. The 6th lord of Takayama, Kanamori Yoritoki was transferred to Kaminoyama in 1692 and the Takayama Domain was placed under direct control of the Tokugawa government. This was done so that the government could directly control the very resource rich Takayama domain which included vast forests and mineral deposits including gold and silver. At this time, the nearby Takayama Castle was decommissioned. In 1695, Kanamori's palace was repurposed for the government offices and the rice storehouse was moved from Takayama Castle to it's present location.
Takayama Jin'ya functioned as the Tokugawa government's offices until the Meiji Restoration in 1868. Afterwards it was still used as prefectural government offices until 1969. In 1969 it was named a National Historic site and preserved as the only extant jin'ya anywhere in the country. From 1980-1996 the extant buildings were repaired and several subsidiary buildings were restored to complete the Edo era jin'ya. Except for the rice storehouse (1600) the other extant buildings are from the early 1800's.
This is a jin'ya and technically not a castle. Jin'ya are somewhat fortified government offices. They were built for small domains (generally less than 30,000 koku of rice) where the lord did not have the qualifications to be a "castle lord." These were called "castleless lords" or "jin'ya lords". Jin'ya were also established for domains, like Takayama, that were directly under control of the Tokugawa government. The Jin'ya are often listed along with castles in castle books and materials.
This site is a must see for castle fans and history fans alike. Strictly speaking it is not a castle, but functioned in a similar capacity. It is the only original nearly complete jin'ya of around 60 similar sites that existed during the Edo Period.
|No main keep but other buildings
|National Historic Site
|palace, stone walls, walls, castle town
|Takayama Sta. (Takayama line), 10 min walk
|420 yen entrance fee; open 8:45am to 5pm (open until 6pm in August, closes at 4:30 from Nov.-Feb.). Closed 12/29, 12/31, and 1/1; English tours available by reservation
|Takayama, Gifu Prefecture
|36° 8' 21.73" N, 137° 15' 28.04" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited
|Nov 8, 2013