The origins of Tsumago castle date to the Muromachi Period when it was most likely built by the Kiso clan. The Battle of Tsumago Castle in 1583 is considered a part of the series of battles known as the Battle of Komaki and Nagakute. The Kiso sided with Hideyoshi and fought off Ieyasu's forces who were trying to push Hideyoshi out of the Shinano (Nagano Pref.) region. In 1600, the castle was renovated for the Battle of Sekigahara and used as a launching point for attacks against the Mino domain (Gifu Pref.) The castle was decommissioned in 1616 under the One Castle per Domain edict.
Very little remains here. It is not well maintained but there are some simple signs in English. Visiting Tsumago the same day is highly recommended. The castle is more of a bonus castle to visit while being in Tsumago than the opposite. Nice view of Tsumago from the Honmaru. There is a tourism center at Nagiso station for more information.
photos and profile by Etienne J.
|Kiso clan (?)
|Middle of the Muromachi period (1337-1573)
|Prefectural Historic Site
|Pre Edo Period
|From Nagiso station very few buses to Tsumago (300Y); or take a taxi (1350Y, 10mins), then walk 1km from Tsumago OR 3km walk from Nagiso station
|Free, always open
|Nagisomachi, Nagano Prefecture
|35° 35' 4.74" N, 137° 35' 44.23" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited