Yoshioka Castle (Ina)
Yoshiokajō is said to have been constructed in 1475 by Shimojō Yasūji, son of Ogasawara Masayasu and patriarch of the Shimojō Clan who ruled the castle for 112 years. Around 1554, Yoshiokajō fell to a seige by Takeda Shingen. The Shimojō became vassals of Takeda Shingen, and Shimojō Nobūji was wed to Takeda Shingen's sister. In 1582 Oda Nobunaga invaded Kōshū and Nobūji's younger brother, Ujinaga, switched his allegiance to Nobunaga, which led to the fall of Yoshiokajō. During the Tenshō Jingo Uprising that year, Tokugawa Ieyasu supported Nobūji's second son, Shimojō Yasunaga, in an effort to re-take Yoshiokajō, but Yasunaga later abandoned the castle.
Ina-Yoshiokajō is of modest size with impressive trenches set amidst low-lying foothills in the village of Shimojō. It is now a park (honmaru (main bailey)), orchards (ninokuruwa (second bailey)), and a shrine (tonokuruwa (hall bailey)), amongst other things. Formerly there was also a large outer bailey. A busy road runs deep where a trench used to be between the main and second baileys, spanned by a modern bridge called honmarubashi which leads into the castle park, which has some modern - but okay looking - ishigaki. Apparently a gate from the castle has been relocated to a nearby residence, but this is on private property.
|Ina Yoshioka Castle
|Pre Edo Period
|Kuruwa, Karabori, Dorui
|Kadoshima Station on the Iida Line; 55 minute walk
|Free; 24/7; Park
|Shimojou, Nagano Prefecture
|35° 22' 48.00" N, 137° 47' 17.95" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited