Fujimaki Castle

From Jcastle.info

[[||class=img-responsive]]

History

Fujimakijō was the fortified residence of the Fujimaki Clan, related to the Hirota Clan who built Hirotajō to the immediate east. Hirotajō was first built by the Hirota Clan in 1400 as a simple fortified residence. The Hirota were succeeded by the Fujimaki Clan who built their own residence immediately to the west. However, these initial medieval residences appear to have been abandoned before Takeda Shingen conquered the area. Both the Hirota and Fujimaki joined Uesugi Kenshin in opposing Takeda Shingen, including at Kawanakajima. Takeda vassal Ôbinata Naonaga became castellan of Hirotajō from 1555 and expanded the fortifications into several rings of defences for use during the Kawanakajima campaigns.


Visit Notes

Fujimakijō is a hirajiro (flatland castle) site in Tamaki village, Inasato Township, Nagano Municipality. The site is conflated with that of Hirotajō which is directly east. The site today is now a temple, Tōshōji, and ruins of dorui (earthen ramparts) remain. It would be easy to conclue that the temple, today surrounded by a road like a moat - and cemetery plots, stands exactly where did a fortified residence. It appears that the temple was originally wholly surrounded by dorui, and so these must be the remains of the residence - a small residence - of which only a segment of dorui survives in the north.

However, under the aegis of Takeda Shingen, Hirotajō was expanded, and these expansions may have incorporated extant fortifications at Fujimakijō into an outer bailey space. One gets the impression of two fortified residences rather than of a vast fortification here. Fujimakijō's exact relationship with Hirotajō remains something of a mystery to me.




Gallery


Castle Profile
English Name Fujimaki Castle
Japanese Name 藤牧城
Founder Fujimaki Clan
Year Founded After 1400
Castle Type Flatland
Castle Condition Ruins only
Historical Period Pre Edo Period
Artifacts Dorui
Features
Visitor Information
Access Imai Station on the Shin'etsu Main Line; 35 minute walk
Visitor Information 24/7 free; temple
Time Required 30 minutes
Website https://henrilesidaner.hatenablog.com/entry/2017/11/30/143935
Location Nagano, Nagano Prefecture
Coordinates 36° 35' 42.76" N, 138° 10' 16.00" E
Loading map...
Admin
Added to Jcastle 2023
Contributor ART
Admin Year Visited Viewer Contributed


0.00
(0 votes)
Add your comment
Jcastle.info welcomes all comments. If you do not want to be anonymous, register or log in. It is free.