Furuwatarijō was a short-lived castle built by Oda Nobuhide, the father of Oda Nobunaga, in 1542. Nobuhide, however, moved to Suemorijō in 1548 and Furuwatarijō ("Old Crossing Castle"?) was abandoned.
What was briefly Furuwatari Castle is now the site of a small park and the Higashi Betsuin temple complex. Are the embankments which surround Shimochaya Park the remains of the castle's ramparts? The site has been a garden since the Edo Period. A sign in the park also indicated that, according to old maps from the Bakumatsu Period, there is a place in the vicinity labelled as the tenshudai-ato (former site of a platform for a castle tower). These pictures are of the garden and temple. There is a marker and information board for the castle ruin at the temple.
|English Name||Furuwatari Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Higashi-Betsuin Station on the Nagoya Subway; two minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; temple|
|Time Required||40 mins|
|Location||Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 9' 6.62" N, 136° 54' 3.38" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2020|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
Enable comment auto-refresher