Gamou Funaki Castle
Funakijō is thought to have been built by the Funaki Clan during the Nanbokuchō period. The Funaki Clan, founded by Funaki Tokinobu, were vassals of the Rokkaku Clan responsible for guarding the Funaki Barrier Gate. Additionally, Funaki was a port town managed by the clan. Funakijō protected vital waterways. In 1491 Funakijō was conquered by the Muromachi Shogunate in their war against the Rokkaku Clan. In 1556 Funaki Ujinobi fought against the Miyoshi Clan alongside the Mamiya Clan. The Mamiya Clan was an off-shoot of the Funaki Clan founded by Funaki Nobukage, a grandson of Funaki Tokinobu.
A corner segment of dorui (earthen ramparts) remains at the site of Funakijō. Beneath it is the space where a moat would've ran. This 'castle' was a fortified residence. This site may also be called Okayama-Funakijō to distinguish it from another site of the same name in the same district, though that site uses slightly different kanji.
|English Name||Gamou Funaki Castle|
|Year Founded||Nanbokuchō Period|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Ōmi-Hachiman Station on the Biwako Line; 50 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; park|
|Time Required||10 minutes|
|Location||Ōmi-Hachiman, Shiga Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 8' 18.28" N, 136° 4' 30.47" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2022|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|