Hanejō, which was made up of two fortifications, Hanenishijō in the west and Hanehigashijō in the east, was constructed by Ohkubo Tadashige in 1524. The Ohkubo, who were descended from the Utsunomiya Clan of Shimotsuke Province, used Kamiwadajō as their main base. However, Kamiwadajō fell to Oda Nobuhide in 1542, at which time the Ohkubo retreated to Hanejō.
See also Kamiwada Castle.
Hanenishijō is now the site of a modest shrine to Inari in the Hane neighbourhood of Okazaki. The shrine was built by the Ohkubo in 1575 to commemorate their victory (under the Matsudaira) at the Battle of Nagashino.
|English Name||Hanenishi Castle|
|Alternate Names||Hanejō (羽根城)|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Okazaki Station (JR) on the Tōkaidō Main Line; 5 minute walk to Inari-jinja|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; shrine|
|Time Required||10 minutes|
|Location||Okazaki, Aichi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 55' 41.59" N, 137° 9' 17.32" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2023|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|
|Jōkaku Shashin Kiroku|