Hanishina Takeyama Castle

From Jcastle.info

HanishinaTakeyamajou01.JPG

History

Takeyamajō was built by the Nishijō / Saijō Clan, an affiliated clan of the Kiyono / Seino Clan who built Kurahonejō. The Kiyono joined Takeda Shingen when he advanced into Shinano, having formerly supported the Murakami Clan who opposed him. The Nishijō are thought to have joined the Kiyono and Terao clans in switching their allegiance to the Takeda in 1550. The Nishijō would later join the Uesugi Clan after the fall of the Takeda Clan in 1582. Takeyamajō was thereupon abandoned. It is thought that Takeyamajō was formerly called Zōzanjō because the mountain it was built upon is so called, apparently because it looks like the shape of an elephant when viewed from a particular direction, but that the name was changed to Takeyamajō after the Sanada Clan planted bamboo at the ruins during their rule of Matsushiro. In that case Takeyamajō would be an anachronistic name.


Visit Notes

Takeyamajō has bands of ishigaki (stone-piled ramparts) supporting terraced baileys. There is lots of ishigaki remaining around the main bailey and below where the bamboo forest is. Takeyamajō was renovated by the Takeda and the pleasing form of the castle dates to this time. There are two principal baileys, the ichinokuruwa (first bailey) and ninokuruwa (second bailey), of which the latter is largest in area. The ninokuruwa terminates at the bow in a platform of earth was used either as a base for a turret or for a signal tower. The main bailey complex has many sub-baileys terracing the mountainside below. A series of climbing sub-baileys terraced the elevation between the ninokuruwa and ichinokuruwa. Ishigaki is found all around the ichinokuruwa, but particularly to the mountainside rear where the sub-baileys are narrower and longer. The ruins of Takeyamajō are interesting and I'd recommend visiting for yamajiro (mountaintop castle) fans who visit Matsushirojō.




Gallery


Castle Profile
English Name Hanishina Takeyama Castle
Japanese Name 埴科竹山城
Alternate Names Zōzanjō 象山城
Founder Nishijō / Saijō Clan
Year Founded Sengoku Period
Castle Type Mountaintop
Castle Condition Ruins only
Historical Period Pre Edo Period
Artifacts Kuruwa, Ishigaki, Koshikuruwa
Features stone walls
Visitor Information
Access No. 30 bus from Nagano Station to Matsushiro Station (35 mins); 10 minute walk to trailhead.
Visitor Information 24/7; Free; Park
Time Required 30 minutes
Location Nagano, Nagano Prefecture
Coordinates 36° 33' 25.49" N, 138° 11' 42.79" E
Loading map...
Admin
Added to Jcastle 2021
Contributor ART
Admin Year Visited Viewer Contributed
Friends of JCastle
Hōrōki
Ranmaru
Yogochan


3.00
(one vote)
Add your comment
Jcastle.info welcomes all comments. If you do not want to be anonymous, register or log in. It is free.