Hiraiwa Castle (Mikawa)
Hiraiwajō is another name for Myōdaijijō, but at this particular site, also referred to as the Myōdaijiko-yashiki, excavations have revealed the remains of a medieval residence and moats. Before the development of the (proto-)modern town of Okazaki, the main settlement here was Myōdaiji. It was located along the Tōkaidō, Japan’s main trade route linking the east and west of the country. It seems Hiraiwajō was used to protect the settlement and as a residence of the Saigō Clan. It may have been used up until 1590, after Myōdaijijō was abandoned, and used as a satellite fortification of Okazakijō under the Matsudaira. However, after Tokugawa Ieyasu relocated to Edo in 1590, Myōdaiji was abandoned in favour of building up the town around Okazakijō.
There is a sign post here under an elevated walkway which proclaims the site of Hiraiwajō. An explanation board details the history of the site with pictures showing the excavations of the remains of building foundations and trenches. Above looms a statue of Tokugawa Ieyasu mounted on a horse. The site should properly be called Myōdaijiko-yashiki, but the sign calls it Hiraiwajō.
|English Name||Hiraiwa Castle (Mikawa)|
|Alternate Names||Myōdaijiko-yashiki (明大寺古屋敷)|
|Year Founded||14th century|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Higashi-Okazaki Station on the Nagoya Main Line; 2 minute walk|
|Time Required||10 minutes|
|Location||Okazaki, Aichi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 57' 9.40" N, 137° 10' 9.19" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2023|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|