Hitachi Takekuma Castle
Takekumajō was a hirajiro (flatland castle) built in a rectangle formation, 500m east to west, 400m north to south, in the middle 14th century by Ishikawa Nozomiki as a fortified residence. In 1416 the Edo Clan used Takekumajō to attack and capture Babajō (which they re-named Mitojō). When the Satake Clan ousted the Edo Clan from Mitojō in 1590, they installed Azuma Yoshihisa as castellan of Takekumajō. All remains of the castle were demolished in the early Edo Period (1650s) to make way for infrastructural works, including a new highway.
There's just a marker here to signify the former site of Takekuma Castle, and no ruins.
|English Name||Hitachi Takekuma Castle|
|Year Founded||14th century|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Mito Station on the Jouban Line; 20 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; parking lot|
|Time Required||1 min|
|Location||Mito, Ibaraki Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 22' 0.73" N, 140° 29' 25.48" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2020|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|