Isawa-jin'ya was constructed in 1661 by Hiraoka Yoshitatsu under the orders of Tokugawa Tsunashige, the Chancellor of Kai. Between 1724 and 1867, from when all of Kai was tenryō (shogunal territory) the jin'ya was one of the three daikansho (magisterial seats) governing Kai on behalf of the Shogunate along with Kōfu-jin'ya (Chōzenjimae-jin'ya) and Kamiida-jin'ya. In 1874 the Hatta family, who had also been direct retainers of the Tokugawa, purchased the jin'ya's gatehouse and relocated it to their own residence nearby where it remains to this day. The last remains of the jin'ya on-site where dorui (earthen ramparts) which were demolished with the construction a school.
No ruins remain of Isaw-jin'ya on-site, and the site is now a school, but there is a marker post with an explanation board. The main gate of the jin'ya survives, having been relocated to the Hatta Residence, a prefectural historic site, where it serves as the compound's omotemon (front gate). The jin'ya site is a municipally designated historic site.
|English Name||Isawa Jin'ya|
|Castle Condition||No main keep but other buildings|
|Designations||Local Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Access||Isawa-Onsen Station on the Chūō Main Line; 14 minute walk.|
|Visitor Information||Access Limited|
|Time Required||30 minutes|
|Location||Fuefuki, Yamanashi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 38' 55.25" N, 138° 38' 13.63" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2022|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|