Ishitono-yashiki was the fortified residence of Shimomura Yukie in the ealry 16th century. Due to the similar names, it is easy to assume that Ishitono-yashiki was the residential annex of Ishimurajō, the fortified mountain redoubt, and the two fortifications formed a jōkan (castle-hall) pairing, but Ishimurajō was only a small fort, perhaps built as a simple watchtower than a place to mount a serious defence of the land. The fort is also believed to have been built before the residence. 'Ishi' is the name of the village, thus Ishimurajō is 'Ishi Village Castle', and Ishitono-yashiki is the 'Lord of Ishi's Residence'. The neighbouring temple, which stands today, was constructed by the lord of the manor in 1532.
Ishitono-yashiki is a medieval fortified residence site in Toyono Township, Nagano Municipality. The site is now a private residence, but just over the stream along the lane that leads there, there is a clump of earth with a sign board and a large tree; the tree is called the 'Tono-yashiki weeping gingko', and is a natural landmark locally. There is also a small stone marker to mark the yashiki itself.
|Early 16th Century
|Pre Edo Period
|Toyono Station on the Kita-Shinano Line; 20 minute walk
|Nagano, Nagano Prefecture
|36° 42' 29.27" N, 138° 15' 38.88" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited
|Friends of JCastle