Iwahori Castle (Mikawa)
Iwahorijō was constructed in 1456 by Iwahori Ōōji (横応次; conjectured reading), who served as a local magistrate under the Ashikaga Shogunate. The castle was essentially a fortified residence. The Iwahori clan would later serve under Tokugawa Ieyasu at the battle of Mikataǵahara, but they disappeared to history thereafter.
Iwahorijō is a former fortified residence site in Kōta Township, Nukata County. Tellingly, the neighbourhood name is Honmaru ('Main Bailey), but no ruins remain of any fortifications, and the site is now fields and a temple called Saikōji.
|English Name||Iwahori Castle (Mikawa)|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Kōta Station on the Tōkaidō Main Line; 20 minute walk to Honmaru|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; temple|
|Time Required||10 minutes|
|Location||Kōta, Aichi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 52' 20.46" N, 137° 10' 1.81" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2023|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|
|Jōkaku Shashin Kiroku|