Kake Castle (Hazu)

From Jcastle.info

HazuKakejou (1).jpg


Kakejō was built in the early 16th century, or before, and became a satellite fortification of nearby Terabejō under the Hazu-Ogasawara Clan. The castellan was Ogasawara Minbunojōzaemon. The fort overlooked the shore, protecting the harbour, and watched over the clan's boats and warships.

Ogasawara Yasumoto was made castellan in 1564 following the Mikawa Ikkō-Ikki revolt, since he switched allegiances from Imagawa Yoshimoto and sided with Matsudaira Motoyasu (Tokugawa Ieyasu) during that conflict. During the battle for Yoshidajō the following year, Yasumoto defended Funagatayama-toride and slew Ôhara Kansuke, the younger brother of Ôhara Sukeyoshi, an enemy general. Yasumoto also served in the battle of Onegawa in 1570.

Ogasawara Yasuhiro succeeded Yasumoto, his retired older brother, but was killed at the battle of Mikataǵahara in 1572, in which many clan members perished. Yasuhiro's younger brother, Yasukatsu, was also lamed in the fighting, so the youngest brother, Hirokatsu took over as castellan, followed by Ogasawara Yasutsugu, who was killed in the battle of Izu-Mishima by the Hōjō in 1582. Ogasawara Yasumoto lived until old age and died in 1589. Kakejō was abandoned by 1590 when Ogasawara Hirokatsu relocated to Kantō alongside Tokugawa Ieyasu.

Visit Notes

Kakejō is a former gakejiro (clifftop castle) site in Nishi-Hazu Township of Nishio Municipality. No clear ruins remain, and the site is now developed over. However, a burial mound dating to the 5th century can be found here, and it has an altar attached for veneration of the enshrined Nishidojō Ana Kannon. Ana Kannon, wherein 'ana' means 'hole', appears to refer to the statue enshrined in the mound's burial chamber said to have once been owned by Ogasawara Minbunojōzaemon. Nishidojō means 'West Door Castle', and refers to Kakejō.

The fort overlooked the beach on a small cliff. The slope down to the harbour is called Minbuzaka in honour of the Hazu-Ogasawara clansman who donated the statue of Kannon to the temple. Kakejō is also referred to in historical documents as Kakemurajō. Nearby koaza (neighbourhood names) such as Baba ('Stables') and Hamayashiki ('Beach Residence') may be related to the castle.

Note: Hazu-Kakejō in historical Hazu County (analogous to modern Nishio Municipality) is not to be confused with Nukata-Kakejō in historical Nukata County (analogous to modern Okazaki Municipality), both in Aichi Prefecture and Mikawa Province.

  • Kofun

Castle Profile
English Name Kake Castle (Hazu)
Japanese Name 幡豆欠城
Alternate Names 掛村城・西戸城
Founder Ogasawara Minbunojōzaemon
Year Founded Early 16th Century
Castle Type Hilltop
Castle Condition Ruins only
Designations Local Historic Site
Historical Period Pre Edo Period
Visitor Information
Access Nishi-Hazu Station on the Meitetsu-Gamagôri Line; 8 minute walk
Visitor Information 24/7 free; temple
Time Required 15 minutes
Website https://www.his-trip.info/siseki/entry1725.html
Location Nishio, Aichi Prefecture
Coordinates 34° 47' 30.88" N, 137° 6' 57.89" E
Loading map...
Added to Jcastle 2023
Contributor ART
Admin Year Visited Viewer Contributed
Friends of JCastle
Jōkaku Shashin Kiroku
Umoreta Kojō
Aichi no Oshiro Meguri

(one vote)
Add your comment
Jcastle.info welcomes all comments. If you do not want to be anonymous, register or log in. It is free.