Kamiwadajō was the main base of the Ohkubo Clan, vassals of the Matsudaira Clan, who built several fortified residences in the vicinity. A branch clan of the Utsunomiya Clan, the Ohkubo migrated from Shimotsuke to Mikawa in the Nanbokuchō period. They were driven out when Oda Nobuhide invaded Mikawa and crossed the Yahagi River in 1542, besieging Kamiwadajō. Matsudaira Tadamichi, who had sided with Oda Nobuhide against Matsudaira Hirotada who was backed by the Imagawa Clan, then took control of Kamiwadajō, and the Ohkubo retreated to Hanejō to the east. The Battle of Azukizaka then followed in which Oda Nobuhide was victorious.
See also Hanenishi Castle.
Although no ruins remain there is a small explanation board and stele commemorating the castle adjacent to the Kamiwada Community Hall.
|Pre Edo Period
|Okazaki Station (JR) on the Tōkaidō Main Line; 14 minute walk to Kamiwada-chō
|Okazaki, Aichi Prefecture
|34° 55' 51.28" N, 137° 9' 10.04" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited
|Friends of JCastle