Kawasaki no Saku
Kawasaki-saku was constructed in 1056 by Abe Sadatō during the Zenkunen War (1051-1063). Abe Sadatō defeated Minamoto Yoriyoshi near Kawasaki-saku in late 1057, in what would become known as the battle of Kinomi. That summer, Abe Sadatō's father, Abe Yoritoki, had been killed in combat. Minamoto Yoriyoshi and his son, Minamoto Yoshiie, marched out with around 1,800 troops, but encountered severe difficulties due to snowfall and a lack of supplies. Abe forces out-numbered Minamoto forces 2:1, and were able to defeat them decisively outside the village of Kinomi. The Minamoto lost hundreds of warriors, including several high-ranking retainers; Minamoto senior and junior narrowly escaped on horseback with just a handful of bodyguards to accompany them. However, despite this early success, the Abe Clan would later lose the war.
Kawasaki-saku is a jōsaku ('stockade') site in Kawasaki Township in Ichinoseki Municipality. No ruins remain and the site is now a field beneath a river embankment. A partial, speculative reconstruction of Kawasaki-saku exists at the Esashi-Fujiwara Village, an architectural park for Heian period structures - in Ōshū Municipality - which is what this picture shows.
|Kawasaki no Saku
|No main keep but other buildings
|Pre Edo Period
|Rikuchū-Kanzaki Station on the Ôfunato Line; 20 minute walk
|Reconstruction is at Esashi-Fujiwara Village
|Ichinoseki, Iwate Prefecture
|38° 54' 17.10" N, 141° 15' 10.48" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited
|Friends of JCastle