Komori Yakata (Sarashina)
Komori-yakata was the fortified residence of the Komori Clan before the Sengoku period. The Komori Clan are thought to have been a branch of the Suwa Clan. The yakata had an inner and outer compound with the inner compound being a pseudo-square with ramparts 73m long north-south and 80m east-west, and the outer compound stretching up to 30m further in the west and 40m further in the east. If the outer perimeter ran for 150m on any side, it would've been considerably large, and so the Komori must've been a powerful clan in their day. The yakata used the Chikuma River to the south as a natural moat.
Komori-yakata is a fortified manor hall site in Komori Village, Shinonoi Township, Nagano Municipality. Some earthworks remain in the form of a mound which is a portion of dorui (earthen ramparts); the mound was retained as a platform for a hokora (mini-shrine) (the tablet in the shrine is, according to one local scholar, dated to 1651 and inscribed with the name 'Komori'. ), and was perhaps a corner segment. Beneath the mound the ground is depressed in an angular shape and looks like the trace of a moat. Much of the ruins of this site were destroyed due to the construction of a river embankment along the oft-flooding Chikuma River, but the ruins were apparently quite extensive before the Taishō period.
|English Name||Komori Yakata (Sarashina)|
|Year Founded||Medieval Era|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Shinonoi Station on the Shinonoi Line; 35 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; fields|
|Time Required||20 minutes|
|Location||Nagano, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 34' 16.25" N, 138° 9' 45.68" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2023|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|