Kongouji Castle (Omi)
Gamō-Kongōjijō, also called Kaneda-yakata, was built by Rokkaku Yoritsuna as the main residence of the Rokkaku Clan, replacing Kowaki-yakata. The castle burnt down in 1469, and a new castle with a similar name, Kongōderajō, was built to the north at a site also called Jionji-yakata in 1486. 'Kongōdera' refers to a temple which existed alongside both temples built originally by Rokkaku Ujiyori. The castle got its name at that time and was formerly known as Kaneda-yakata or Kaneda-dono. Kongōjijō was involved in the conflicts between the Rokkaku Clan and the Ashikaga Shogunate, and in 1487 it was taken over by the Kuri Clan who were Ashikaga vassals who lived nearby and had probably been displaced by the Rokkaku at some point. By 1486 the Rokkaku had relocated their main base to Jionji-yakata. In 1491 the site was again temporarily taken over by Shogunal forces along with much of the rest of Rokkaku territory. No ruins remain of the castle but neighbourhood names such as 'Old Castle' and 'Main Gate' are retained.
There is a signboard about the castle on site with a castle marker. The stated history conflates both sites referred to as Kongōjijō / Kongōderajō, but considering the dates it is likely that it is the other site, Kongōderajō, also called Jionji-yakata, that Ashikaga Yoshitane made his camp, rather than this one. No ruins remain.
See Jionji Yakata.
|English Name||Kongouji Castle (Omi)|
|Year Founded||15th century|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Ōmi-Hachiman Station on the Biwako Line; 20 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free|
|Time Required||10 minutes|
|Location||Higashi-Ōmi, Shiga Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 7' 27.62" N, 136° 6' 56.41" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2022|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|