Kutsuki Shuzen Jin'ya
Kutsukishuzen-jin'ya was established in 1698 by Kutsuki Noritsuna as a daikansho (sub-fiefdom's main hall) for Fukuchiyama Domain's holdings in Ōmi Province (Fukuchiyama is in Tanba Province). The jin'ya site measured 70m by 50m. It was used until 1825 when the territory became a Tenryō (Shogunal territory) as part of a land exchange. It was replaced by the nearby Kutsukiizuminokami-jin'ya in Kitanoshō. 'Shuzen' refers to the title-name of Shuzen which successive generations of Kutsuki bannermen in Hachiman took; after Noritsuna his descendents Naotsuna, Kitsuna, Nagatsuna and Tsunahiro all took the inherited name Shuzen (a famous example of this inherited naming system ('franchise'?) is 'Hattori Hanzō' (the last known Hattori Hanzō, as we all know, made a sword for Uma Thurman (sarcasm))).
No ruins remain of Kutsukishuzen-jin'ya, and the site is now a residential block in the town of Hachiman. There is an old house on site which is rather a fetching and a worthy inheritor of the jin'ya perhaps. Excavations seemed to have been carried out at the site.
|English Name||Kutsuki Shuzen Jin'ya|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Access||Ōmi-Hachiman Station on the Biwako Line; 30 minute walk or 7 minute drive (bicycles can be rented at the station)|
|Visitor Information||Access Limited|
|Time Required||10 minutes|
|Location||Ōmi-Hachiman, Shiga Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 8' 20.72" N, 136° 5' 13.38" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2022|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|
Enable comment auto-refresher