Maruyama Mandaira Yakata
Mandaira-yakata was built by the Maruyama Clan in the middle 16th century after they relocated from Tonomura-yakata (Maruyama Tonomura Yakata) to higher ground. The yakata’s walls ran for about 60m on each side in a basic square formation. It was destroyed by the Ogasawara Clan in 1583. The yakata functioned alongside Koyajō (Koya Castle) on the castle amount above to form a fortified jōkamura (village) with gates to the north and south. ‘Flag mounds’, most of which were levelled in the early 20th century, were constructed to raise the morale of defenders in times of war.
Some earthen mounds are all that remain of the Mandaira-yakata in the area which one hosted its stables. Now the site is rice paddies and a row of pine trees which were planted for windbreaks in 1691.
|English Name||Maruyama Mandaira Yakata|
|Year Founded||Mid' 16th Century|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Bus from Akashina Station on the Shinonoi Line|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; fields|
|Time Required||20 minutes|
|Location||Ikusaka, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 25' 40.58" N, 137° 56' 1.97" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2022|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|