Mukaijimajō was built as a satellite fortification of Fushimijō. It was located on partially reclaimed land on the shore of Lake Ogura. Formerly the area had consisted of shallow lake waters and low-lying islands known as a local beauty spot where lotus grew and poets enjoyed moon-viewing parties. Toyotomi Hideyoshi saw little utility in such natural scenery and built Mukaijimajō here in around 1592. Bungo Bridge linked Mukaijimajō and Shigetsu-Fushimijō across the River Uji. In 1596 Shigetsu-Fushimijō was destroyed in an earthquake but nearby Mukaijimajō escaped with much less damage. Mukaijimajō thereafter became the temporary residence of the retired regent until Fushimijō could be rebuilt in 1597.
Mukaijimajō consisted over three principal baileys arranged like a ladder ("hashigo formation") with the lower rung facing away from the Fushimijōkamachi, the second bailey in the middle, and the main bailey as the top rung, adjacent to a sub-bailey used as stables. After Toyotomi Hideyori moved to Ôsakajō, the Tokugawa took over Fushimijō and Mukaijimajō. In the Siege of Fushimijō, Mukaijimajō was destroyed by attacking forces but was later rebuilt. The Tokugawa Shogunate made the decision to decommission Fushimijō and Mukaijimajō was likewise demolished around 1620.
Nothing remains of Mukaijimajō today, and only a signpost stands to tell its history.
|English Name||Mukaijima Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Kangetsukyo Station on the Keihan Uji Line; five minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free|
|Time Required||1 minute|
|Coordinates||34° 55' 26.04" N, 135° 46' 14.95" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2020|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|